Spring Storm 2022: Getting Prepared
With forecast for what could be the worst blizzard in decades this week, there are some important things that you need to know. Please read through the below information to prepare for the upcoming storm.
Things to do TODAY to prepare for the incoming storm:
- Make sure that you have supplies to sustain yourself and your family for at least 72 hours in the event of an emergency. Fill up on gas for your vehicles and generators if you have them, make sure you have food that can be consumed without cooking in the event of a power outage, and check your supply of batteries.
- Check/replace batteries or battery back-ups for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Get your shovels back out of storage if you’ve put them away – snow IS coming.
- Park your vehicles in a driveway or garage – wherever possible, remove parked vehicles from the street.
- Remove waste bins from the curb if you have placed them there – there will be no waste collection for the remainder of the week.
- Cancel travel plans and make arrangements to stay at home for the next couple days wherever possible.
- Register for Altona Connect. With this notification system, you can decide if you want to receive phone calls, text message or email alerts from us. If there are changes or urgent messages specifically in your area, we can target the messages geographically. https://altona.ca/connect/
- Click through the below information for detailed updates on each category, and download this PDF of the same information for later in case you cannot access the website.