Town of Altona Response to COVID-19
The Town of Altona is taking proactive measures to help reduce the impact of COVID-19. This includes:
- Freezing municipal taxes
- Suspending all recreation programs
- Closure of the Millennium Exhibition Centre, warm-up shelter, and play structures in parks
- Closure of Town of Altona offices to the public. This includes the Public Works Shop, Fire Hall Office, Landfill Office, and Administrative Office. To connect with the Public Works Shop, Fire Hall, or Administrative Office, please call 204-324-6468. To connect with the Landfill Office, please call 204-324-1379.
- Closure of the Altona Police Service Office to the public for all non-urgent matters. If you have a non-urgent matter, have a general question, or wish to speak with an officer, please call their office at 204-324-5373, or after hours at 204-324-5353. Alternatively, you can send your inquiries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require fingerprints for a background check, please note that this service is being postponed until further notice. If you require a criminal record check, please call the Altona Police Service Office, and the service will be assessed on a case by case basis. As always, if your call is an emergency, please dial 911.
- Curbside collection is not impacted by the closure of the landfill office. The Landfill is still accessible, but you will not be able to enter the office.
All of these steps are in place to ensure the safety of our community, our staff, and the protection of essential services. We will continue to be hard at work delivering essential services such as protective services, clean water, wastewater treatment and many others, and keeping you informed. The Town of Altona encourages you to practice excellent hygiene, physical distancing, and find new ways to connect with your community. Physical distancing does not need to mean loneliness. As we work together to flatten the curve and slow down the spread of COVID-19, call your neighbours, chat with your friends virtually, and find new ways to socialize while maintaining distance.