The Animal Control Officer reports to the Chief of Police of the Altona Police Service. The Animal Control Officer is responsible for the enforcement of the Town of Altona’s Animal Control Bylaw. Should you require assistance with respect to an issue with an animal, please contact Animal Control at 204-324-4644.
Responsibility of Owners Regarding Dogs or Cats
As a dog or cat owner, you have the following responsibilities:
- License your dog or cat – this is done at the Town of Altona administration office for a one time fee of $25.
- Keep your pet on a leash. Your pet must be on a leash and under your control to be on public property, including parks. The exception to this rule is designated off-leash areas.
- Clean up after your pet – if your pet defecates on public or private property other than your own, you must ensure to remove the excrement immediately. You also cannot allow your pet to defecate on your own property in a manner that constitutes an environmental or health hazard, or is a nuisance to your neighbours.
- Ensure that your pet does not cause a disturbance; damage public or private property; pursue, bite, wound or worry another person; or upset waste receptacles.
- Review the Animal Control Bylaw and ensure that you are in compliance