Plebiscite on Retail Cannabis
1,155 voters cast their ballots in the polls, including advanced polls on October 8th, 2020, mail in ballots, and mobile polling stations. That is a voter turnout of just over 36%. Of those 1,155 voters, 692 voted “yes” to the question: “should licensed retail cannabis stores be allowed in Altona?” Read more about the results at altona.ca/altona-votes-yes-on-retail-cannabis/
|Mobile Poll 1||37||62||99|
|Mobile Poll 2||14||31||45|
On January 30, 2020, the Town of Altona received a petition calling for a plebiscite on the retail sale of cannabis within the Town of Altona. The petition made the following statement:
The undersigned persons, being eligible voters of the Town of Altona in the Province of Manitoba, petition council for a plebiscite with the following question:
“Should licensed retail cannabis stores be allowed in Altona?”
– Yes, they should be allowed
– No, they should not be allowed
After extensive review by Town Administration, the petition was deemed sufficient on February 25th, 2020, and Council set a date of May 13, 2020 to hold the plebiscite. Due to the unforeseen events of COVID-19, Council postponed the plebiscite until October 14, 2020.
How To Vote
Step One: Learn About the Issue
The Town of Altona hosted a live video stream on September 15th, 2020 at 7 pm on the Town of Altona Youtube Channel. “A Conversation About Cannabis” featured discussions among a panel, including Mayor Al Friesen, Police Chief Perry Batchelor, Town CAO Dan Gagné, and Manager of Training and Education at Delta 9 Cannabis, Jehna Grobety.
Step Two: Register to Vote.
The Town of Altona maintains a voters list. If you think that you may not be on the voters list as you have moved, turned 18, or become a Canadian citizen within the last two years, you can register online or at our office.
Step Three: Decide where and when you intend to vote.
Click through the four different options to learn more about voting in person at the polls or via mobile polls, in advance, or by mail-in ballot.
Due to the ongoing threat of COVID-19, you will be required to respect physical distancing and practice excellent hand hygiene at all times while attending the polls. Masks are strongly encouraged, and disposable masks will be provided if you do not have one of your own. You are also welcome to bring your own pencil if you would prefer to.
- Gardens on Tenth, 140 10th Avenue NE, Altona, MB between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- Eastview Place, 240 6th Street NE, Altona, MB between 10:45 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.
- Buffalo Apartments, 60 Buffalo Trail SW, Altona, MB between 1:00 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.
- The Poplars, 116 Centre Avenue SW, Altona, MB between 3:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Centre Courts, 122 Centre Avenue SE, Altona, MB between 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
- Centre Point Plaza, 56 Centre Avenue SE, Altona, MB between 9:45 a.m. and 10:45 a.m.
- Katherina Courts, 115 4th Avenue NE, Altona, MB between 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
- Wheatland Estates, 250 2nd Avenue SE, Altona, MB between 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Pineview Manor, 15 1st Street SW, Altona, MB between 2:15 p.m. and 3:15 p.m.
Please note, these polls are subject to change if public health orders restrict access to certain locations. If you live in a healthcare facility, and are concerned that mobile polls may be cancelled, please sign up to vote via Mail-In Ballot.
A voter applying in person may pick up a sealed envelope ballot package at the time of application. If an application in writing is received by the senior election official before October 2, 2020, the voter will receive a sealed envelope ballot package by regular post. Otherwise a voter may make alternative delivery arrangements with the senior election official to ensure the ballot can be returned by 8:00 p.m. on voting day.
Step Four: Vote!
Having your say in this issue is your right and responsibility as an Altona voter! We want to hear what you have to say, and this vote is your opportunity to tell us.